Monday, May 10, 2010

Getting "Church'd"

I'm not sure many of you know or care, but I grew up Catholic. I always joked that the main rule for catholisism is "if it feels good, stop".  And I would probably still be a practicing Catholic if I didn't become a "think-for-yourselfer" right before I completed my confirmation (but that is a story for another day). 

Recently, and by that I mean in the past 2 years or so, I have been becoming more of a non-denominational Christian and by that I mean, trying more to focus on the Bible than most other religious teachings I have experienced.

WAIT, don't stop reading yet, I promise I'm not going to get all religious on your ass!

Anyway, in my journey to become more Christian, less Catholic, I have been looking for a church... but not like actively seeking, going to a different church every week, not finding what I'm looking for, kind of searching... more like, looking at teachings online, talking to people I know that are actively involved in their churches, kind of thing. Mainly, becoming a Christian in a lazy manner. 

Now I appreciate that the Bible says you need to preach your faith to others and try to get the Word out there, that's your duty as a Christian... But I am really not a fan of those people who are fanatic about thier churches.  Let me explain what I mean by this...

I call it "Getting Church'd"... no its not like getting schooled... its when you ask someone one thing about their church and then for days, weeks and months, all they talk about is how you should come to their church, how its better, are you walking with God?... that type of stuff.  It seems that normal topics are now not a part of your daily interactions. 
Church-er: "Hey, I didn't see you at my church on Sunday?"
Me: HEY, YOU ARE CROWDING ME HERE! I WILL FIND GOD ON MY OWN TIME!

No, I'm not writing this to offend anyone.  Hey, if you think you've got a great church, I would love to hear about it! Just don't make it become the only socially interactive topic we can have.  I think its wonderful when a person's life revolves around their church, and I would love for that to someday the case in my life, but I'm not there yet. I haven't recieved my calling... I'm trying! Please understand.

With that, here is a somewhat entertaining article on 10 "rules" Christians should take into consideration.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-shore/10-ways-christians-tend-t_b_562583.html

And here's your final food for thought: Going to church on Sunday and talking shit about everyone else doesn't make you a better person than the one who prays mulitple times a day and tries to be Christ-like, but doesn't go to church on Sunday... I'm just saying...

No comments:

Post a Comment